Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the 60's and me

My relationship with the 1960's is like nothing else that I have encountered. I was born in 1991, but I feel like I should have been born in time to be a young woman in the 60's. The hair, the clothes, the music, the dancing. All of it stirs my heart. I cannot claim first hand experience or the real expertise of a scholar of history. All I can claim is a great curiosity and a great love. You should have seen me doing the "mashed potato" at my high school's home coming dances. My hair has often been styled like the picture at left and in other 60's styles. When my peers were watching CSI, I was watching I Dream of Jeanie and Get Smart. It hurt me when they made a movie supposedly inspired by Get Smart. Across the Universe also hurt. No one understood that I had gone through Beatles Mania in 2003 when I first saw Help! The Supremes were my idols and Simon and Garfunkel were my comfort in times of trouble. I experienced the 60's as a fully formed unit, there was chronological order to my likes and dislikes. I began at the beginning of the 60's with the later movements and fads being too radical for me. I had a revolution this year when one of my friends forced me to listen to the Beatles song Across the Universe. I realized that I was finally ready for the Late 60's. The funny thing is that my parents were still displeased by this, even in this year. At home I don't fit, let alone in the outside world. I can't go home. Indeed, even if this was an episode of The Time Tunnel and I could travel through time, there's no place in the 60's for me. I am going "where no man has gone before" to a future that Captain Kirk never could have envisioned. So here I am, in my minidress and go-go boots, trying to face 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment